Re: [SLUG] upgrading from win to linux

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 15:21:20 EST

In my experience I've had to do what you hinted at in the end of your
letter: install linux on a clean partition/hd, move any valued (few)
files from the old win partition/hd to the linux partition.... and,
well, one of these days i'm going to get around to doing something with
that old win partition (1 gig-- i don't use it any more :P). The
problem is that the master boot record is still tainted by windows (I
think. I know what the MBR does, but I don't know how it acts,
exactly. I've heard that a format of the HDD won't remove the MBR,
which to me is weird and annoying. Of course, I don't think most
people will care about those few megabytes of space, but I'm a
purist.... or a freak, or whatever the term is.

Specifically, it would be easy to move mp3's. As for the internet
settings: I personally use the USF dial-up service, and setting it up
on linux was no problem once I found out about wvdial and wvdialconf
(before that, I was afraid I was going to have to learn about ppp and
write some insane script myself). In fact, the system communicates
with the modem and connects with the service more satisfactorily under
Linux than under Windows (under Windows "dial-up networking" a lot of
error checking/correction nonsense made the connection take longer).

- Justin Keyes

--- Norbert Cartagena <niccademous@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking (actually this was actually a
> random thought), but is it possible to "upgrade" from
> Windows9x to Linux? By that I mean the following:
>
> Billy has a Windows9x/ME box. Billy wants to install
> linux, but likes his information where it is (or just
> doesn;t care for backing up his collection of 600
> Frankie Yankovic MP3s), and doesn't want to reset his
> settings (Billy is using his University's internet
> settings). Billy grabs a new version of Linux that
> says it can do an upgrade from Windows to Linux. Billy
> upgrades and now has a full Linux system running, with
> no Windows involved anywhere, running KDE (it just
> looks more like Windows), bash,
> Ext3/ReiserFS/Whatever... the works.
>
> Is that even possible? I was thinking that MAYBE it
> could be done by having the install do it one
> partition at a time or something.
>
> Again, just a random thought.
>
> Norb
>
> =====