Re: [SLUG] upgrading from win to linux

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 10:12:31 EST

Gnorb/Linux,

Oh. I see what yer sayin'. IMHO, I think that transferring all those
settings would take more time than just re-doing them all. Of course,
that completely misses the point of your question, but.....

In my experience, you can't even upgrade an old WINDOWS version to a
NEW windows version without re-doing all that stuff (because it's
better to do a clean install of a new version than putting it on top of
your old version's installation)!

> but the settings should also be seemlessly
> done.

excuse me for a second.... %*D HAHAHAHAHA! %*D
.....ok, sorry about that. In my experience, it's not worth
transferring settings *even from an old program version to a new
program version*. But I don't run a server or anything important, so I
have the luxury of that option. But anyways, how many settings _are_
there, anyways, for something like a file manager...? Bookmarks and
address books are the only major hassle that I can think of. And
unless sometimes writes a program specifically to transfer from IE and
Outlook to their respective Linux/GNU/WindowManager/DesktopEnvironment
counterparts, I think you just gotta do it manually.

Basically this is an overblown way of saying I am no help concerning
your question. I'm sorry. I suck. Damnit.

...But also I'm saying to anyone that might not want to change to
GNU/Linux because of the above issues, "DUDE! Whatever, man. Make the
change ANYWAY!"

with love,
Justin Keyes

--- Norbert Cartagena <niccademous@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Justin Keyes <m9u35@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > In my experience I've had to do what you hinted at
> > in the end of your
> > letter: install linux on a clean partition/hd, move
> > any valued (few)
> > files from the old win partition/hd to the linux
> > partition.... and,
> > well, one of these days i'm going to get around to
> > doing something with
> > that old win partition (1 gig-- i don't use it any
> > more :P). The
> > problem is that the master boot record is still
> > tainted by windows (I
> > think. I know what the MBR does, but I don't know
> > how it acts,
> > exactly. I've heard that a format of the HDD won't
> > remove the MBR,
> > which to me is weird and annoying. Of course, I
> > don't think most
> > people will care about those few megabytes of space,
> > but I'm a
> > purist.... or a freak, or whatever the term is.
> >

> Well, what I had hinted at the bottom was something
> like you said, but here's the deal: in the end, that
> last partition would be wiped out, either to be
> replaced by a new partition (Swap, /boot and /lost +
> found, presumming it's 1 gig) or one of the new
> partitions having been resized, the Fat32 Windows
> pestelence gone. In other words, some manner of
> transfering all the old info from - say - your Outlook
> box to your new Evolution or KMail, from your IE
> (bookmarks, security settings) to
> Netscape/Mozilla/Galleon/Konqueror/Whatever, and view
> settings from Windows Explorer to KFM or Nautilus... I
> know that MP3s would be easy, as well as any other
> saved file, but the settings should also be seemlessly
> done.
>
> As for the MBR, just replace it with LILO. Again, all
> Windows references *POOF* gone (ther than maybe a
> folder called "My Documents").
>
> Gnorb
>

> =====
> ~ Good evening, Mr. Gates