Re: [SLUG] Linux VM problems (and I'm so cool)

From: Jason Copenhaver (jcopenha@typedef.org)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 18:21:02 EST

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Brett Simpson wrote:

> I've always had problems with my redhat 7.1 pc locking up all the time and never understood why. It would lock right when the swap file was geting hit real heavy. I read this article last night and started upgrading everything to the latest kernel so hopefully this will clear it up. Does RedHat 7.2 use the -ac kernel or is it the genuine linus kernel tree?

redhat does usually start with an AC kernel base.. but they patch it A
LOT.. and I mean a LOT.. they have very strict testing procedures so that
the kernel they ship works on a wide variety of hardware configs... AC
doesn't actually have any input on the kernel that goes into the redhat
distro.. another guy (Argen) handles all the patches and tests..

Jason