Re: [SLUG] Kernel versioning

From: Jason Copenhaver (jcopenha@typedef.org)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:02:04 EST

the 2.4.xxprex means.. for instance.. 2.4.14pre5 version.. means it is
newer than 2.4.13 but not quite ready to be called 2.4.14 yet.. this is
normal and has been going on for quite a while.. now.. as to 2.4.x being
unstable/expiremental a lot of people would agree that 2.4.x opened too
early and it should have stayed in 2.3.xx for a little while longer.. and
yes.. people think that Linus's change of the VM in 2.4.10 should have
waited for 2.5.x but.. he didn't see it that way..

Jason