Re: [SLUG] VPN and SSH

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 12:02:04 EST

VPN technology is a way to connect 2 or more private networks across the
public Internet. It provides an encrypted transport medium and the vpn boxes
act as router/gateways between the segments. That said, it is supposedly
possible to crack a vpn 'tunnel' if you work at it.

SSH can be used to create a vpn-like connection between 2 networks as well.
It is software based rather than hardware based, but it will work rather
nicely.

Now to the real question, why use ssh if I have a vpn.
1) Because it is the right thing to do (tm)
2) The VPN only encrypts between the 2 gateways. What about between your
host to the gateway and from the gateway to the other box?
3) Too much encryption is almost an oxymoron
4) You just never know who is looking at stuff where.

Jim

--
Jim Wildman                                            jim@rossberry.com
903-736-4393                                 http://www.rossberry.com