Re: [SLUG] Linux VM problems (and I'm so cool)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 21:51:24 EST

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:18:11AM -0500, Bill wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 October 2001 23:55, you wrote:
>
> > Seriously, I just went to RH7.2, and noticed an incredible difference in
> > speed (as in much S-L-O-W-E-R). It's the 2.4.7 kernel, and I was on
> > 2.2.x before. I do hope Alan quits being contrary about this. It's not
> > the only recent issue where he and Linus have differed significantly,
> > resulting in an effective fork. Of course, this assumes that the 2.4.10
> > VM is as good as it's purported to be.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Paul, I am running the 2.4.12 kernel on a Mandrake 8.0 base installation
> and it's the cats pajamas ... make that a cheetah ... the sense of it is
> "speedy". Some specs below.

Two things. First, the new VM came in with the 2.4.10 Linus kernels. The
AC series still doesn't include the new VM. If you're running a Linus >
2.4.9, that explains the speed difference. Second, here are my machine
specs:

P166 48M 20G EIDE HD

Since I'm rarely in X, this machine is usually adequate for anything I
need. It's a little sluggish in X, but not a big deal. But with the new
2.4.7 kernel, I can tell from the HD light that this puppy is thrashing
like a demon a lot of the time in X. Plus, I'm running KDE instead of
IceWM at this point, something that will also slow it down.

Paul