Re: [SLUG] Third of a dozen questions

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 01:34:46 EST

On Thursday 01 November 2001 06:35 am Andrew wrote:
> drop the umask and suid?

Did that and it doesn't change anything. Still don't know why I can't
mount my USB camera as a user

> > On Tuesday 30 October 2001 06:25 am, you wrote:
> > > change usr to user and add mode=0777
> > >
> > > /dev/sda1  /mnt/usbhd   auto
> > > noauto,user,rw,uid=500,gid=100,mode=0777,umask=002,suid  0 0

Did that originally - Didn't help

Still continue to get the error message, "Only root can mount
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbhd"

Question: Is there some rule in Linux that only root can mount a
/dev/something ?? Even if the ownership on the device is changed
to someone other than root?

I previously wrote (In case anybody came in late on this thread)

> > I also did what was mentioned in an earlier post by doing a
> > chmod on each of the directories. Doesn't seem to make any
> > difference. The command seems to be accepted but there is no
> > change in permissions. I also noticed this. When the camera is
> > not mounted /usbhd is owned by me with the users group. As soon
> > as the camera is mounted with the command "mount /mnt/usbhd" as
> > root, the permissions on /usbhd change back to root with root
> > group.????
> >
> > Root will not relinquish control of /usbhd. Any other ideas guys

Bob S.