[SLUG] Introduction and Strange Samba Problem w/samba-2.2.2 ?!?

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 11:18:11 EST

Hi guys,
    New to the group although have been a linux user for quite some time.

Just a little technical background on my systems.

Distro: None - Natively Compiled
Arch: i586, i686, Athlon
Kernel(s): 2.2.19 (mostly), 2.4 is still dev IMO and don't like hunting good
ones.
Glibc-2.2.4
gcc-2.95.3-2
DE: Gnome-1.4

Ok well anyway. I am having trouble getting smbd to work. I have used 2.0 in
the past and it worked fine, but since I have temporarily lost my broadband
connection (hence the AOL ... anyone know how to connect Linux to AOL via
direct dial-up???), I though I would take advantage of that time and
redistribute technology and rebuild my network a little differently.

My problem appears to be with user/pass authentication on smbd, but I am not
CERTAIN about that. I can 'smbclient -L \\windowsboxen' and I get a list of
services from my wife's computer which I have printer and folder shared. I am
attempting to set-up a public SMB share on my private network, but it doesn't
seem to matter how I configure it. If I 'smbclient -L localhost' I get the
following stdoutput:

> added interface ip=192.168.1.233 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>
> session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
> in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I have configured smb.conf to both accept and reject Null Passwords, and set
and reset encrypt passwords, set guest ok = yes/no...I have set and reset
passwords and Null passwords and encrypted it and ugh......Basically I have
tried everything I can think of that would be a configuration issue yet
cannot get any different output that what I posted above.

My configuration is fairly basic and other that a few things that I have
changed back and forth to try and get this issue resolved, it hasn't changed
much from what I post below the items with a star " * " are items I have
toggled in almost all permutations:

[global]
    workgroup = BEHOMET
    netbios name = KRONK
    socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY \
        TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
    encrypt passwords = yes *
    browsable = yes *
    guest ok = yes *
    writable = true *
    null passwords = yes *
    dns proxy = no
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
[public]
    path = /home/samba
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

Can someone please guide me or tell me whether perhaps I have a bad Samba
installation. I have also recompiled the software perhaps 5 times thinking
perhaps it compiled bad once or twice and have tried a couple of different
configurations...(Mostly just shutting off extra features I tried with
original compilation). I removed all bins and libs before re-installing and I
always use a clean source tree be rm'ing the source tree and re-untarring it.

I appreciate any assistance. I hope I can be of assistance to others in the
near future when I get my broadband back and am not relying on AOL =)

Thanx greatly,
Scot Mc Pherson
Sarasota
P.S. would like to meet any local users. If you live in Sarasota/Bradenton
please drop me a line.