Re: [SLUG] Linux VM analysis

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 14:53:36 EST

Derek, from your paper:

> This was a fun set of runs. The most exciting thing to happen was
> the complete failure of gcc under two seperate runs under the 2.2.19
> kernel! gcc died on the inital run with "parse error" messages. To
> make sure nothing had gotten corrupted after the first run/failure,
> I re-extracted the sources, re-made the config, rebooted the box and
> tried again. The second time through it succeeded. The third time
> through it died with another "parse error", this time at a different
> point in the code. The conclusion was that 2.2.19 just couldn't
> handle this load on this hardware. (My suspicion is that it was some
> sort of IDE/hard drive failure. I'm not impressed with the Toshiba
> hard drive in this machine and it possibly spit out a bad bit or
> two. Or some kind of very occasional random flakiness with the IDE
> interface and 2.2.19.)

When is the last time the RAM was tested in that machine? The same gcc
parse errors were copping up on a freebsd system during a make
buildworld (heavy memory/compiler activity). The machine had 96MB ram
total and would throw the errors randomly on seemingly good
code. memtest86 was run and it found a faulty module, but not on the
first pass, it took a few passes for the corruption to occur. The
module was replaced (leaving me with 32MB less RAM than before),
and the errors stopped completely.