RE: [SLUG] Damit Windows leave me alone!

From: Grantham, Patrick (Patrick.Grantham@vacationclub.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 09:03:44 EST

from your logs, copy an entry, showing IP, date time etc...
I don't how to display the net bios name table of a remote IP in unix, but
in windows it's
NBTSTAT -A type_remtoe_IP_here

you will see the host name and MAC address of the remote box (If it's not
behind a firewall or if the ports are not blocked), and the user name logged
into the box.
do a traceroute to their IP, which gives up their ISP name
Forward all this to their ISP or call them. Chances it's a roadrunner
account.

OR (use at your own risk)
since they are infected, you could drop a text note (informing them of THEIR
infection and THEIR attempts to infect YOU) on their desktop or "startup"
folder of their "all users" "programs" folder. This is a bit drastic and
does enter a gray area considered hacking or unlawful entry to ones
computer. Technically it's not hacking, but do at your own risk.

bringing the ISP is probably the most appropriate thing to do....