Re: [SLUG] Awk Question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 18:28:45 EST

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:12:23AM -0500, Doumbeck1@aol.com wrote:

> Unless you are using both gawk and mawk and perhaps some other unix awks, I
> would suggest you pick one and stick with it. I prefer mawk and some others
> really like gawk...That is besides the point though.
>
> Go to your /bin directory and find your awk programs (awk, gawk, mawk) and
> pick one if you have more than one. Then type the following (substitute g for
> m if needed):
>
> ln -s mawk awk
>
> obviously if you program is unix awk, you don't need to do this
>
> this will create the awk symlink and so no matter who's script you use, it
> should be compatible and call awk. Most people who are awk savvy use "awk" as
> the call to their awk program, and you should get in that habit too.
>
> #!/bin/awk
>
> Scot Mc Pherson

Here's the problem. I didn't write the scripts, and they rely on mawk.
Mawk is symlinked to gawk on my system, but gawk doesn't accept the same
command line arguments that mawk does. Thus, the scripts fail miserably.

For those who are really curious, the scripts are part of nosql, a very
lightweight DBMS. The author is apparently a mawk snob, and insists you
use mawk instead of gawk. But Robert and I showed him! ;-}

Paul