[SLUG] stop spamming me

From: Michael Goetz (mgoetz32@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 07:11:42 EST

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Hast <kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] What's a good printer?
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:57:29 -0500

Comments below...

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 02:21 L, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2001 23:55, you wrote:
> > Here are some examples that come to mind
>
> When I was 11 years old and a Cub Scout, I got my first exposure to a
> swimming pool. One end was crowded, the other had people diving in. So I
> split the difference and jumped in near the middle ... a nice, arching
> dive ... right into about 7 feet of water and too far from the edge to
> grab it again.
>
> I came to in a locker room with a bunch of worried looking people
standing
> around looking at me. I have no recollection of reality past the point
> where I was forced to breathe water. After that; only the death
> hallucination. I don't recall being pulled from the water. I don't know
> how I came to be in the locker room. The time between the final breath
> (which burned ... but only for a moment) and that locker room bench is
> simply lost.

Oowww, that was a thunker, good thing there were people watching and
knew what to do, that same flight instructor always said "it is the little
things that getcha...

> The questions I didn't ask? What do these numbers in the tile mean? It's
> too crowded here ... can I jump in over there? Or just a little kid's
> "What am I supposed to do, Mrs. Robinson?" (our den mother)
>
> I have other stories from the railroad. The story of how the chlorine
tank
> cars came to be on top of the propane tank cars is an interesting one. So
> is the time I watched as we hit a car no where near a crossing. The snow
> plow on the front end sent it flying up over some trees. As head
brakeman,
> it was my job to go look for survivors ... or at least the pieces. That's
> an interesting tale, too. The point being that while a little knowledge
> can be a dangerous thing, a little ignorance is even deadlier.

You know something, I have always wanted to know what it is with
people and trains, I not that far from a crossing here on Palm River Road.
I have sat at that crossing many a time and watched people wend thier
way around with the engineer blasting away on the horn, in a pissing
contest between several hundred thousand tons of train and a car or
for that much a truck it does not take a rocket scientest to figure out
WHO is going to take a big hit in that one, and the locomotive it aint.

I remember going through the "crime and violent death museaum in
San Jose Costa Rica, this is a extention of the OJI (Costarrican equivalent
to the FBI) crime lab. One of the things that stood out in that gristly
place was the number of body parts from train accidents. And people
still want to compete with something that can not stop even when the
people running it wish with all of their life the could.

How many times do you hear of a vehicle getting stuck on the tracks,
a tire hung or the blasted thing just quits, much more so than people
winning the lottery... Just something I have never understood, but
then for those of us who fly we have those who will drive directly into
a massive CU and turn into a bit of aluminum precipitate, so I guess
it is the same pig headed drive, they have gotten away with just a
roller coaster ride in the past, but there is always that one vertical
shear in the right place, most civilian service aircraft do not do high
G loads very well...

> Most of us understand that abstract that "there is no such thing as a
> stupid question." Sometimes, though, to drive the point home, somebody
has
> to go looking for the body parts.
>
> > Now I have a question, how can I turn off the sig line when I do
> > a send reply to a message? Anyone have a answer to that one?
> >
> > I am running KMail here, I have checked and can not find a way to
> > turn off the sig when I do a send reply. Would be nice to have on
> > this mailer.
>
> Chuck ... why not just highlight it with your mouse and hit the delete
> key? I do that with incoming mail and it works just fine. Try it out on
> spam mail, first. Just open the email, highlight something and hit the
> delete key. :-)

Yes, that is what I do with the longer comments, and spam gets the
del key with no pardon.

> I think, though, that the sig wasn't irritating him ... just not
> understanding what it referenced. People who have done things where small
> mistakes can be final ones probably understood it just fine. (Did you
> remember to lower the wheels, de-ice the carburetor, radio for clearance,
> bring the coffee can?)

So far no gear up's (thank God) did get some carb ice one time but got the
thing pulled in time. Not pulled out on a hot runway yet... As to the can,
zip
lock bags work well too....

> I also use Kmail ... nice program ... but I don't believe it capable of
> appending the sig file selectively. It's all or nothing.

That is one thing that "Notlook" does do which I like. Beyond that it
is a virus....