[SLUG] Re: upgrade to Woody's SILO doesn't work

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 15:38:51 EST

I've taken the liberty to remove debian-boot and Adam DiCarlo from this
thread. Adam Di Carlo because as if he doesn't get enough email
already, and debian-boot because I was informed by Mr. Di Carlo it
doesn't handle this package--also referencing the debian-boot list
description. Please forward this to them if I am mistaken.

To reply to Ben, I'm really not that slick with Debian, so I have to
say, I just answer package questions with the best of my ability and the
little research I do into the man pages of packages and programs. I
could have sworn all I did was upgrade. Why it didn't work is beyond
me, but forcing a write of the boot block helped (a lot!).

There are some peculiar things though:
When I first booted with the Potato drive I ran fsck on the broken drive
and it cleaned up some zero dtime inodes (not really amazing, but I
thought I'd mention it).
Also, here is my drive map with my 18.2GB SCA drive
/dev/sda1 35MB /boot
/dev/sda2 16GB /[everything_else]
[and empty space for the rest here]

I was thinking there was a problem with silo trying to look at
/etc/silo.conf since it's not contained in the /boot drive partition.
 Is this possible? I witnessed a silo.conf in the /boot directory
partition, but I'm not sure how it got there. The silo execution that
fixed my drive was almost eighty characters long cause I had to tell it
where to get its information and where to write the boot block etc, etc.

I'm glad to hear of your past success. It's always good to know I'm the
only one this happened to (sort of). At least that means Debian > Woody
upgrades should go flawless for the rest. It is possible I did miss
something.

Mario