Re: [SLUG] Quick question - 3 NICs

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 22:07:51 EST

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jeff Barriault wrote:

> If I put 3 identical NE2K-PCI network cards into a PC, what's the easiest
> way to tell which one is eth0, eth1 or eth2?

kThe MAC address is usually listed on the baord -- I often
write the last 2 pairs on a paper label, and stick it on the
outside of the case.

They will 'move around' and cannot reliably be 'nailed down'
to detect in a fixed sequence, without using the trick of
having a different driver for each --

If there IS a different driver for each, set up modules.conf,
and insmod and bring up the interfaces in the desired order.

-- Russ