Re: [SLUG] Quick question - 3 NICs

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 11:29:35 EST

Russ,
    I am not sure that is correct. Although the bios discovers the hardware
settings on the mobo, the linux kernel does not take the bios's discover for
granted. In fact the kernel does its own initialization and discovery of the
hardware including interrupts, as well the kernel can change the interrupt of
hardware on the fly.

    If you don't recognize this yet, try a little experiment. Take one of
your hard drive's bios settings and change it to something rediculous.
(obviously not the root device), when the kernel loads, it will recognize the
drive and change its setting independently of what is set in the bios.

basically if something is changing, then your hardware is not reseting
consistently. I can always count on my hardware resetting the same...

    Scot Mc Pherson