Re: [SLUG] Orphaned Machines

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 17:44:56 EST

I don't know what happened, but I found this weird guy sitting at my
machine (snicker).

In all seriousness, Paul, you've really struck a chord in my heart. I
am a full-fledged dumpster diver. I feel it is an honest to God shame
when people chuck valuable processing for the sake of newer technology
when it's all going to repeat again in a couple of years. What's wrong
with Beowulf clusters? What wrong with P2P processing? I don't understand.

I've got an HP closet at home that I plan to populate with 486
motherboards and make a Beowulf cluster someday. Maybe if P2P
processing progresses, I'll do that instead, but for now, I'm
accumulating as my girlfriend is leaving (oops!).

If enough folks are interested, maybe we could pool together and make a
mass junk raffle for SLUG? Anymore junk out there?

Mario