Re: [SLUG] Orphaned Machines

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 16:35:04 EST

On Saturday 10 November 2001 02:49 pm, you wrote:
> Well, I was throwing some trash in the dumpster at the office, and I
> looked in and noticed a couple of PCs sitting in the bottom of the
> dumpster. I spent a long time trying to decide whether to jump in and
> take a look. (I felt like such a scuz, dumpster-diving for PCs later.)

Sure, they make fine fileservers. I used to have a 486-33 w 16MB that was my
dialup, dns, mail and file server all in one. Ah, I used X sometimes too.
(Yes it was a slow GUI.)

Don't recall any problems, 'cept as I said GUI was slow. It dialed on demand
and fetchmail'd my mail. Was the firewall and gateway for all computers
sharing the dialup.

Steve