LFS was: [SLUG] SuSE 7.3 retail

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 09:32:17 EST

In a message dated 11/13/01 1:12:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
paulf@quillandmouse.com writes:

<< Couple of things. Obviously, there's a helluva lot more involved in
 building a "comfortable" system than what's in LFS. As I recall, it was
 really a minimal (though functional) system. But if you're going to have
 KDE, Mozilla/Konqueror, plus all the other stuff that might come on a
 "fat" distro, you're talking about a lot of work, particularly if you
 compile from source. This is the biggest advantage of RPM and such--
 dependency handling, etc. Plus, it seems like every idiot who builds a
 package wants to put his files in the wrong (FHS) places. Three out of
 eight packaged I download I have to tweak the makefiles to put things in
 the right places. Any thoughts on that stuff?

 Also, you mentioned your systems as being "tighter" than most. What do
 you mean by that? >>

Ok, I spent the last half hour trying to author an intelligent and thorough
response. I trashed it in favor of this one. It seems to me that this thread
is quickly becoming something like the MS vs Linux arguement

LFS is to Linux as Linux is to Microsoft.

Your arguements are the same as an MS user trying to explain why they
wouldn't want to use Linux. My arguements are going to be exactly the same as
the Linux user's trying to explain to the MS user why they want to try Linux.

Scot Mc Pherson