RE: [SLUG] need info

From: Bob Foxworth (bfoxworth@fortresstech.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 09:25:47 EST

This solid vs stranded issue is indeed true. It has to do with the depth and
type of penetration
of the blade inside the RJ45 plastic housing, which (all 8 of them) are
pushed into the wire
when the crimp is made..

There are also different types of RJ45 where it relates to the plastic piece
towards the rear of the
connector which is pushed down by the crimper to anchor the wire bundle and
jacket as a strain
relief. AMP has a way of doing this and others have a different way. So an
AMP tool is designed
to work with AMP connectors and will risk breaking a connector with the
different strain relief layout..

I just wire everything with solid as it is much easier to fan it out and
have the wires hold their shape
when trimmed and inserted into the connector prior to crimping. It is
simpler to just buy the shorter
patch cables if you need to do a lot of patching where the wire is flexed a
lot. Another trick that works
for me is to put the connector into the tool before feeding the wires in.
There is a certain length that
works well, about 3/4 inch. You need to make sure all 8 ends are cut flush
and appear in the end of the
connector so the blades reach them fully when crimping. It also helps using
a shearing cutter and not a
pinching cutter such as dykes to trim the wires. Pinching distorts the
insulation making it harder to
feed into the connector, and if one wire gets knocked out of place,
genberally you have to rearrange them all
again.

In my experience there is no substitute for an AMP tool. The handle and die
cost about $150
but I have never had a bad crimp with one. I had a `economy' tool....no
longer......don't waste your money

Some of the office depot type stores sell ready made 50 foot lengths of CAT5
with plugs on the end. I
think CompUSA has them as well, maybe in the Belkin cable section.