Re: [SLUG] mail server.

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 21:01:33 EST

Patrick Grantham wrote:

which service is used so that my linux box can BE a pop server?

You are probably using a POP3 server called "in.pop3d" This program is actually executed by inetd (the inet super-daemon). This means that in.pop3d does not actually bind to port 110 and listen for connections. The inetd daemon binds to all of the ports specified in /etc/inetd.conf, and it launches the appropriate mini-server whenever a new connection comes in.

Unless you know that you need POP, I would recommend IMAP. With IMAP, your mail stays on your mail server's hard-disk, and your mail client interacts with the IMAP server every time you want to get a list of headers, or view a message. Some advantages include the fact that you can read your mail from mulitple computers (also great if you dual-boot or swap boot drives), and if you back-up your server, but not your workstation, then your mail can be backed-up with the rest of your server hard-disk. Also, if you like to file your mail into many boxes (ie a SLUG box), with IMAP, the message is moved into the appropriate box ON THE SERVER. With POP3, the mail client maintains its own, local, mailboxes for sorting.

Before I get flamed, most POP3 clients have a setting to not delete messages from the server when they are read, but I always found this to be an ugly kludge (caching UIDL codes in each client?).

--ronan