Re: [SLUG] mail server.

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 00:44:07 EST

Jeff Barriault wrote:

I have a question. I have a RedHat 7.1 server on my network at 192.168.0.22
with Samba services running. How would I set it up to allow me to IMAP into
my root account and retrieve my e-mail from my Windows 2000 workstation
using Outlook?

Jeff-
   Samba is totally irrelevent to IMAP. IMAP is a network protocol that
runs on top of TCP/IP. This protocol defines the operations to:
authenticate a user, get a list of mailboxes, get a list of headers,
fetch a message, move a message, delete a message, etc. As a network
protocol, it does not rely upon the mail clients being able to access
any FILES on the mail server. This greatly simplifies things, and
should cause fewer security risks.

   I have never tried to access the mailbox for the root user through
IMAP, but I think it should work the same way it works for everyone else
(but you do know that you should not be doing day-to-day tasks (such as
email) as root, right? You could make an email alias so that all of
root's email gets sent to your normal user mailbox.)

   My mail server has the following line in the /etc/inetd.conf file to
enable IMAP:

imap2 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd imapd

of course, this requires that the imapd executable exists and is
configured. It should be very straightforward. You should verify that
you have imapd installed, and then try the above line (if the line did
not already exist, you will have to do a "killall -HUP inetd" to force
inetd to re-read its configuration file). Then you can configure your
mail client to use IMAP to access your mailbox. I have never seen
Outlook, but I assume that it supports IMAP. If this doesn't work, you
can post specific problems to the list, or email directly to me.

--ronan