RE: [SLUG] mail server.

From: Jeff Barriault (jeffbarr@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 16:02:01 EST

Hi Russ,

I basically have this box on my home network that I'm using to learn all
about Linux. It's an AMD K6-2 500MHz with 96MB RAM running RedHat 7.1. I've
been using Samba for filesharing and was trying to figure out how to set it
up as a PDC, but never could get it to work 100%. There are 4 other systems
on my network. The first one is my firewall. It's an old 75MHz Pentium
running SmoothWall. My system is a Win2K box, my wife's is a Win98 box, and
my daughter enjoys surfing the web with her Mandrake 8.1 box.

Phew! Now that we got that out of the way, to answer your question, I
managed to get an IMAP server running on the RedHat machine. I basically got
an RPM of imapd from the RedHat site and loaded it. Then I checked that it
should start in xinetd, and restarted my system. I also added an alias in
the etc/alieses file to redirect root's mail to mine. After that I set up my
e-mail client on my Win2K box to connect to the IMAP server. Amazing,
everything works.

Sendmail happens to be running on the RedHat box too, but I haven't figured
out how to connect to it from my Win2K system. Of course I've gotten a bunch
of great advice from folks on this mail list and am sitting here currently
trying to figure it all out.

Thanks Russ, and everyone else for helping,

JB