Re: [SLUG] help with brain dump. mounting a new hard drive.

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 00:08:51 EST

I guess you'll probably want to replicate the line in /etc/fstab
where your old hard disk was?

'cat /etc/fstab'

See where your old hard disk was? You'll want to: 'vi /etc/fstab'
then go down to the line you want to duplicate and type 'yy' then
move to the next line and type 'pp'

Customize the line so it reads your /dev/hdc rather than /dev/hda or
b or whatever. Use escape to get out of edit modes 'x' and 'i' will
delete and go into insert mode respectively.

Don't forget the fsck passes flag at the end of the table. This new
one should be two (boot is one), so you'll need to bump everything
else that gets fsck'ed at bootup one lower priority (three, four,
etc). 'man fsck' if you questions about the syntax. I think 'man
fstab' is another one. 'man mount' wouldn't hurt either. I think
this is all too much info anyway, but you get the picture. I hope
I've helped.

To temporarily create a mount point at /home with an ext2 filesystem:
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc /home

Mario