Re: [SLUG] NT domains by samba; making it work

From: Patrick Grantham (pwgrant@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 15:35:35 EST

The essence of making samba work is the understanding of what to put in the
samba configuration file. Then again knowing what to put in it probably the
hardest thing to understand. Although I can deploy it now with confidence,
I still consider my understanding somewhat limited. Only after I discovered
came across the samba web gui, "Swat", and the Linux web admin tool,
"Webmin" was I able to make it work. Win9x clients register themselves on
the NT domain automatically, unlike NT based clients which don't. Presently
it seems that w2k clients cannot "join" the NT domain that is created by a
Samba server. Don't forget to edit the rc.config file and search for the
"start samba" line near the bottom. By default, it's set to "no", samba
won't start automatically at boot time unless this is set to "yes." The
speed up the clients resolve the same servers name I went as far as to add
the samba server's name to the "hosts" file of the clients.

My largest deployment of samba is at a local catholic church that also runs
a school. They have fourteen stations and then the Suse 7.0 Linux server.
The server is a mid range clone, 256MB RAM, K6-2 500MHz. A share was set up
that all users have read/write access (admin and childcare groups.) With in
this share there are folders that the admin group has group r/w access and
folders that only childcare has group w+r access. Each persons unique share
is their Unix home directory.

Again, nearly broke the first time after buying several books on samba, I
accidentally discovered swat and was then able to make samba work. Once I
started using swat, did things begin to fall into place. As yet, there are
still two things I've yet to crack and it's somewhat embarrassing to admit.
I have to enable plain text password's on the win clients. I cannot seem to
get encrypted password to work properly. Since the passwords never enter
the public internet - only perhaps via a VPN or PPTP, neither of which are
used by any client - I am not particular concerned. It's probably something
subtle, but it eludes me. The second is sendmail. Some ISP mail servers do
a reverse lookup and reject mail from a SMTP server that a nslookup fails.
By default, the sendmail agent on the Linux box refuses to relay mail from a
client that also fails an nslookup. I think I have the former solved by
registering the domain and entering that name in sendmail config files. I
am presently stumped on the latter.

would my samba configuration file be helpful? I'll send it if you wish.