Re: [SLUG] help with sendmail: the light bulb goes on.

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 23:22:21 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Patrick Grantham wrote:

> Up to this point I have been staring at the readme.cf
> file. I thought to my self, "huh?" Maybe I am
> approaching many of the man pages with the wrong mindset,
> I know.

The usual design goal of a 'man' and 'info' page it to
_remind_ a sysadmin of just enough, so that they can quickly
fix something. In a well-formed *nix, they are present, and
in a perfect world, also current.

Hint: If you have a keyword, the regular search keystroke '/'
and (argument) and [enter] will quickly scan for that word.

In doing show-and-tell training, I will be making eye contect
with a pupil, as my hands call up the man page and search to
the keyword, and then each turns to read that text ... good
for extra karhma points <smile>

The piece I did Saturday was a cook-book how-to -- with
annotation and discussion as relevant to the presentation. I
omitted a side discussion of RPM package installation, and how
to use an editor quite consciously.

> Once changed via webmin, I see the affect on the .cf file,
> this topic and others relating to sendmail makes much more
> sense now.

Webmin operates directly on the end result config files,
rather than having a deep understanding of how those files are
generated. It is deprecated (see the RH Release Notes for
recent releases), and its sponsor, Caldera, recently 'RIFfed'
its maintainer.

Old releases are security risks -- make sure you are patched
to current updates.

-- Russ