[SLUG] LFS -- Write Up -- Second (maybe final) draft

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 08:08:44 EST

Linux From Scratch
    Compelling Reasons to Compile
    or
    Not For The Faint of Heart

By Scot Mc Pherson

Caveat

    I use a few phrases interchangeably. "Base system" is a phrase I use both
for the original installed distribution Linux system, and it is also my
description of what a completed LFS system is, it's a base system. Sorry for
the confusion, but "base system" works very well for both situations. Reading
it in context should make it clear what I mean. I try to make it clear in the
sentence or paragraph which base system I mean.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE: All Rights are Reserved. This white paper may be reproduced
and distributed at will so long as the following conventions are adhered to.
This document must be duplicated exactly as is. If you want to publish it, go
ahead but as a courtesy please inform me first and give me the opportunity to
polish it. It must be published in its entirety.

Introduction

    I am not going to go through the typical introduction to Linux (pron.
LIH-nux) that many authors have provided seemingly with every article written
about Linux. I am going to start by saying that Linux is an addition to the
Unix family of operating systems. It was written by a Finnish Grad
Student/hacker named Linus Torvalds (pron. LEE-nus) and was initially
released in the fall of 1991. It and its acceptance has grown ever since.
That is all on that.

    Do you think you know a lot about Linux? Well unless you are some sort of
uber-hacker or Linus or Alan Cox, LFS (Linux From Scratch) has something to
teach you. Until you actually have to hunt down tar.gz source files on the
net and figure out how to compile and install them successfully and to your
liking, you haven't experienced Linux. You are probably reading this either
because you want to be convinced to use LFS or you want to find something to
debunk. Either way, read on. At the end I am going to go through some
point-by-point PROS and CONS of LFS. The funniest part about writing this
article is something I realized about the most common arguments. They are
almost identical to the arguments between the Linux camp and MS Windows camp.
So if you think you have something to say on the MS vs. Linux front, then I
bet you can apply the same arguments here, just graduated by one step or
degree.

    Today we have many choices in how we implement Linux systems. We have
offered to us easily over 100 different flavors of Linux operating systems
ranging from the immensely popular and well-recognized distributions such as
RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, Slackware, SuSE, and YellowDog all the way down to
more obscure implementations like, BeeHiveLinux, Wolverine, easyLinux and
other distributions skilled hackers have put together. Lets not forget the
utility distributions, such as tomsrtbt, which are used to diagnose and
repair your system when all else fails. So much to choose from, and yet they
are the result of other people's efforts and therefore other peoples visions
of how a system should operate.

    Have you ever had that moment when you become dissatisfied with your
current favorite distro and renew the hunt for the perfect distro? I know I
was in that situation when RedHat-7.0 was released. I was the perfect RedHat
customer and user. I supported RedHat each time I purchased a copy of every
CD RedHat produced from 3.somethingerrather all the way up to 6.2. RedHat was
a dream to work with. It was stable, it did what I configured it to do, and
it didn't argue, too much. I never even considered looking elsewhere. Then
RedHat-7.0 hit the shelves. Oh man, what a bummer that was. The distribution
grew to outrageous size and was thoroughly broken to-boot (an expression, not
system boot.) I went through installing it 50 times and running up2date and
all the other fancy schmancy fix it schemes provided on www.redhat.com, but
yet it always seemed to fail to meet my expectations of stability and
usability. I couldn't compile software, and to make matter even worse they
pulled the carpet from beneath me when they completely reorganized how the
filesystem was arranged. /etc had 100's of files even if I wasn't using most
of them and /dev was full of devices I never even heard of. Now let's be
clear. I am not bashing RedHat; I think it's a fine company, which produces a
fine product. My issue was and is with Linux distributions as a whole. If I
were to suggest a distribution to a newcomer of Linux, I would suggest they
begin with RedHat, Mandrake, Slackware, or SuSE. But for me, I needed
something more (or less really.) Enough was enough.

The Search Begins

    I began my search. I won't list all the distributions I researched and
tried, there are too many. But I will give you a summary of what I came
across. I found SuSE with too much stuff and too big if you were downloading
and wanted the neat stuff, Debian was way too old (XFree86 v 3?) unless you
want to play with the CVS versions, and what the heck is tasksel, dselect,
and dpkg? It was very confusing sorting through all the online deb files. At
least RedHat provided a pretty complete description of what each obscure RPM
provided. Slackware was probably the cleanest system I found, but you had to
choose to install large packages to get one or two things out of the package.
Slackware presently is my favorite distribution since I don't consider "Linux
>From Scratch" (LFS as I will be calling it from here on out) a distribution.
LFS is a system you compile completely from source code and not an installed
distributed Linux, if I did lump it in with distros Slackware would be my 2nd
favorite. Mandrake is the easiest to install, otherwise pretty much RedHat
compiled for i586s, which is a good feature if you are performance conscious.
Later I will explain why. Ok none of these was doing it for me. Some were
worse some were better but since I was searching for "my" new system it had
to be perfect.

    After a bunch of other systems I came across a website in November of
2000 which at the time was rather obscure http://www.linuxfromscratch.org. I
browsed the website and I talked to the people on the mailing lists and the
irc chat room (irc.linuxfromscratch.org). It was fairly easy to convince me
that I wasn't going to find what I wanted in other distros, I had already
proved that to myself.

The First Attempt

    I being a person of wanting ensured stability began with LFS-2.4.2. Let
me explain something here. "Linux From Scratch" is the name of a book. Its
not a distributed set of binaries, and isn't even a distributed set of source
code. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org does provide the necessary and some
optional source code and patch files as a convenience to its user, developer
and tester base. Rest assured they are unadulterated copies of the original
sources. To say it again, they are merely gathered together in a single place
for our convenience. If you wish to hunt for and gather all of the sources
yourself, be my guest. When you have done so, do a checksum on them and the
files you can download from www.LFS.org (remember I am shortcutting the
name). You'll find you wasted a lot of time, but sometimes experiencing
hardship for yourself is the best way to learn. Anyway back to the issue at
hand.

    It took me some 3 weeks to compile my first system, although I have an
excuse or rather a few excuses. I have my own family, my wife (Ginger) and my
2 boys (Davis 3, and Morgan 10 months). So between my family and my
meticulous and methodic combing of the LFS book contributed to the length of
time it took me that first time. When I had completed it, I erased the old
distribution I used as a development system to build this one (yes you need a
Linux system to build a linux system, but I will get to that later too.) And
now what? Oops. Oh man, I messed up, I can't do anything. Sure I have a Linux
system and its brand spanking new in a few senses of the word, but it doesn't
do anything. Boy did I have a lot to learn, I hadn't really thought this
through. Ok, so I re-installed the old Linux system back onto the spare
partition so I could get out on the Internet and download a few client
packages like lynx, and lukeftp. I boot back into my LFS. Ok NOW I have the
tools I need to get more tools. Oh well, I guess I didn't think it through
first.

Continuing My Education

    The second time I compiled LFS, it took maybe 3 days and now that I have
done it over 200 times I can get it done in about 4 hours on a fast computer
around 500MHz (including installing the base system - a modified RedHat). It
shouldn't take you 3 weeks your first time. I was one of those people that
had to read and check and recheck each command I hand typed. And like I said
earlier I had my family competing for my time. You can copy and paste with
GPM if you like. I typed it out the first few times, because I was concerned
about the indenting and such things. Now I realize I didn't need to worry
about it and I am now the GPM copy and paste king. I still think hand typing
it is a good way to really learn "how" to do it though.

    Slowly I added to my fileserver various bits and pieces of
necessary/optional code and built myself many systems. From LFS-2.4.2 I moved
on to 2.4.4, which was much nicer. After 2.4.4 the version 3 prereleases were
coming out. I have always been afraid of beta software. But with some
prodding of the LFS staff and user base I tried LFS-3pre2. I skipped 3pre1
altogether. Man what I difference. It was much easier to build, and seemed
more solid. I kept on building systems (oh hey, did I mention this becomes a
very addictive hobby?? Well it is VERY addictive) and became slightly
dissatisfied with 3pre2, and I started developing my own "fork" of LFS. 3pre3
was released and I hated it (well hate is a strong word, but I didn't like it
anyway). I skipped 3pre4, and finally a few months ago (Aug2001) LFS-3.0 was
released. Immediately a problem was discovered regarding stripping of
libraries, which rendered a system useless. Ugh...ok now my next step into
the development world. The CVS version of LFS was considered to be plenty
stable, and again with prodding, I was convinced to try it. Remember this is
a book, not software. CVS versions of LFS are not exactly cutting edge
either. CVS could easily be considered the "current state of the stable LFS".
Testing of LFS systems is mostly dealt with in the bugzilla system and
changes aren't implemented into CVS until and unless the changes have been
tested by the author and project leader of LFS (Gerard Beekman) and bunch of
users which make sure a system is regression tested before the system is
committed to CVS. Regression testing is a pretty thorough test of almost
every part of the LFS base system. Regression testing includes compiling and
using GCC, XFree86, QT, KDE and GNOME. This might not seem like much, but
until you have tried it, don't scoff. Testing by compiling, installing and
using those 5 items is a very thorough testing of almost each and every piece
of software included in the LFS book. If a system can successfully compile
and run those environments and desktops, then it's pretty darn stable.

These Days

    Now a days I get to use my systems. I am pretty much finished with
tweaking and tuning and recompiling everything. My systems do what I want
them to do, and unless something serious happens (like I get a new project at
work or a new computer, or one of my system crashes so bad that even back-ups
don't work) I won't be rebuilding LFS too soon. I like things the way they
are and it's nice. At home, I have a network of 6 systems. I have a p150
w/32MB RAM which is my firewall, and front-end apache and ftp server...a Dell
Optiplex Piii866w/256 MB RAM which runs as my fileserver and back-end to my
web and ftp services and also houses my network's /home directories (all
using /dev/ndb). My GNOME-1.4 workstation is an original Slot-A AMD700 w/512
MB RAM and an AMD k2-333, which is my wife's WIN98SE box (hey what can I tell
you?). I have an AMD486 w/16 MB RAM that I am going to build into my new
firewall/router ONLY box, and return the p150 to service as the front end to
my net services without running any firewall/router service. I have a p200mmx
w/160MB of bad RAM which when I get the RAM replaced I will use that as my
SETI box and also use for my C/C++ coding. Once again all /home directories
are housed on my fileserver using net block devices (except for the
firewall.) I am learning how to program better than just being able
troubleshoot some existing code (which I learned because of LFS). I run samba
on all my boxes for print services into the fileserver. If you have an i386
Mobo you want to get rid of, give me a holler.

Suggestions When Building LFS

    A lot of this probably won't make sense until you have read the LFS book.
I suggest reading the book either before reading this, or coming back to this
section again after you have read the book. (example: $LFS is an environment
variable we set while building LFS, it is the non-chrooted directory of our
chroot)

    Take the time to plan your partitions intelligently. Smart partitioning
alleviates fragmenting of system files and this improves performance. If I
have two hard drives I do things similarly, but I make sure my system files
are always on primary partitions ALWAYS...if the extended partition gets
messed up, then I don't loose EVERYTHING, and can often recover from the
failure. If I have multiple drives, I put a swap partition on all of them. I
always put swap in an extended partition so I have my primary partitions for
system partitions. This is the partitioning scheme I use:
    /dev/hda1 / 130 MB
    /dev/hda2 /boot 4-12 MB (I assign 1 cylinder, size depends on
your hard-drive)
    /dev/hda3 /usr 300-1200 MB (depending on space and what I plan
on doing, this is system software)
    /dev/hda5 <SWAP> 48-256 MB (I usually just assign a default 128MB,
but if I am short on space, or have more space than I know what to do with I
adjust)
    /dev/hda6 /usr/local 300-1200 MB (Depending on space and what I plan
on doing, this is for your user software)
    /dev/hda7 /tmp 100 MB (you want this partitioned for a few
reasons, so that temp files don't overrun your system
    /dev/hda8 /var 20-500MB (depending on space and how much logging
and state information you want to store, you definitely want to partition
this too, to keep runaway logs from taking over your system...it CAN happen,
I have seen it)
    /dev/hda9 /opt 300-1200 MB (depending on space and what you plan
on doing, this is for GNOME, KDE, etc and your GUI Software, entirely
optional as its name implies)
    /dev/hda10 /home Whatever is left...

    Use CVS... It's perfectly stable, and it's just a book, but CVS does seem
to be the most stable. Funny that. Really use the nightly CVS snapshot.

    Do it twice. I mean it. Some people think it's a religious thing, but its
not. If you LFS, and then immediately LFS again, you divorce your system
further from the distribution you started with, by an extra 2 steps. People
argue that it's ineffective, arguing that by created the chrooted environment
that one has created an environment protected from the initial base system. I
don't quite buy that, because the software you compile into chroot is created
using the glibc and other libs resident on that initial base system. The
second LFS process ensures that your LFS is built by LFS, and honestly this
is the best way I know how to control a system. By ensuring consistency, I
know what I am going to have as a result. LFS is the best system to build LFS
with. I have tested the results and I suggest it. Install Distro Linux to
/dev/hda9 above, build LFS(1) into /dev/hda10 or any non-system partition
that is larger than 1000MB. The 2nd time you build LFS, you are going to
build it into the final system using all your partitions. Also, if you
partition thusly, use another partition for $LFS/usr/src. This will help you
reduce the necessary space for $LFS/usr if you need to keep it to a minimum.
You will still need/want at least 300 MB for $LFS/usr if you plan on building
a "complete" Linux system. Reduced /usr partitions are mostly for specialized
Linux systems that won't use many of the common tools normally found there.

    Start with RedHat, although its a mess its the easiest to install for our
purposes. All you need to do when installing RedHat is select Custom System.
Partition Smartly, and install RedHat into the /dev/hda9 above. Select
Development when you are selecting packages (don't worry about anything else,
all you need is already selected (except maybe IRC if you want to chat or get
help while you are doing this). When you are done installing RedHat,
immediately recompile gcc and replace it with gcc-2.95.2.1 which is a patched
gcc-2.95.2 that was made specifically for building against RedHat's faulty
2.96 compiler, do this even if you have updated RedHat's GCC or have
installed 7.1 or 7.2. You are now ready to LFS.

    Use the Linux-2.2.19 kernel instead of the 2.4 kernel specified in the
LFS books. Unless you have a very good reason to use 2.4 (such as netfilter
which IS a good reason), please don't bother. Hunting for a good 2.4 kernel
that works with your hardware and just plain works at all is a royal pain in
the tookas. I consider Linux-2.4 to still be in development regardless of
what Linus happens to say. Linux-2.2.19 always works, always. It's the most
stable kernel in existence right now and it IS a very modern kernel. In some
cases I still use the 2.0.39 kernel. The 2.4 kernel's stability and
usefulness depends a LOT on your hardware and what you plan on doing, don't
use it if you don't have to. That means in both places, chapter 6 and chapter
7.

    Most software you can upgrade, replace or remove with abandon. There are
three you can't (or really don't want to.) They are your kernel, glibc and
ncurses, all for much the same reason. These packages include headers and
libraries that get compiled into almost every piece of software on your
system. Sometimes these headers get changed enough in a new revision to make
a drastic difference on how your system is compiled, and you can break
something. When you replace your kernel, make sure you keep your old kernel
and lilo entry for an extended period of time, in case you discover something
wrong with your system running the new kernel. FYI I don't delete old kernels
at all. Glibc _can_ be replaced, but be very warned, if it doesn't build
right or if it breaks you are _royally screwed_. Ncurses is another set of
libraries and headers that much of your software depends on, if it changes
enough you will break a lot of software that isn't system critical, but will
prevent you from doing many of your daily chores...again don't do it...You
have been warned.

    Stay clear away from gcc-3.* its broken, I don't care what anyone else
has told you or whether you have seen it compile a kernel or not. If you do,
you'll be sorry you did when you finish your system and find out the system
is broken here and there and you are trying to figure out why. Use
gcc-2.95.3-2, it works its nice and its stable.

    Use glibc-2.2.4, although it was meant to fix problems with gcc-3.* it's
a major improvement over glibc-2.2.3 regardless of gcc selection.

    Download both lukeftp and lynx BEFORE you begin and place them in the
tarball directory that houses your LFS sources. You'll save time and
frustration by not having to reboot back into the old system to get this
stuff.

    Know what your system settings need to be before you begin, especially
settings for routing and eth0 or ttyS0 or whatever. This will save
frustration. If you need to refer to your Base System's settings, then go for
it.

    Keep Notes. If you build LFS following the book to the letter, then to
book is your notebook. If you diverge even a tinsy bit, write it down and
keep it handy. Keep notes on how you install all software, you will need it
if you need to remove something or need to remember where you installed it,
because some other package doesn't seem to find it on its own. Don't loose
your notes...This is important. You could end up installing a library in two
locations by accident and that can cause all kinds of hell in the future.

    The first thing you should install after LFS is GPM, including before you
start LFSing the second time...trust me...read the hint to get it compiled
otherwise you won't get it compiled.

    Hints are found at http://hints.Linuxfromscratch.org go there, download
them all and read them...read GPM first.

    Learn to like the console...it has much better, more stable software than
X. I use X sometimes when I really want graphics support, but console really
is better for functionality, it uses less resources and the software almost
always much faster ... 9 out of 10 Linux gurus agree. Ok that's more
generally Linux oriented and not LFS oriented, so I will stop there.

Pros and Cons

    Here is the part you Linux advocacy die-hards should appreciate. You
should notice the similarity between what is said here, and what is said in
the MS vs. Linux war.

    PROS

    The very first and foremost pro for using LFS is Education. Flat out,
this beats any other advantage that LFS has to offer. By the time you have
learned how to compile your own Linux system using only the book for tips and
hints, you have become a system developer and not just user...Don't get me
wrong, you'll still have lots to learn about system administration and other
stuff before you are a guru, but you are more guru now than ever before. You
will learn how to modify and maintain source code. You will learn how your
computer works, and right down to low level CPU functions if you go the hard
core optimization route.

    Stability. This is the second most important reason for building LFS.
When you take the time to regression test your system and fix any minor bugs
that do occur occasionally, you'll have arguably the most stable system you
could find. In essence this is by the way, what distribution developers do.
In their own fashion they build their own specific LFS and test rebuild test
patch rebuild and test and package.

    Performance. LFS is native. That means it was built on the system it is
running on. If you allow gcc to discover the sort of system hardware and
software you are using, you'll have a pretty good optimized system that by
default will outperform any distribution on the market, guaranteed. There is
a reason for this. Distributions need to build Linux systems for the widest
set of platforms. Within an architecture family, this means compiling their
distribution for the lowest common denominator (i.e. the Intel 80386 in the
case of the Intel family and its compatibles). The exception being Mandrake,
which targets the Pentium Classic as the lowest platform. Essentially this
makes your Athlon1.2 GHz computer a 1.2 GHz 80386. None of the advantages are
the newer architectures are used, because they can't be if the software must
also run on an i386. So you gain a great deal of performance, up to 30% for
just the default compile time options in some cases.

    Lean-ness. LFS will be very small compared to similar installations from
Distributions. You can strip RedHat down to the very same files that you
would find on a finished LFS system. RedHat would still be a much larger
installation. This is due in part to the same reasons why you see a gain in
performance with LFS. As well, instead of having to hunt down files that
aren't going to be used, you instead are faced with the joy of only
installing that which you absolutely want or need. I have a fully featured
GNOME workstation loaded with software. The installation is big, but it's
much smaller than a RedHat GNOME workstation, having only the components I
use. It also is very stable and doesn't crash. I have only installed software
as needed and so I know there is nothing superficial or superfluous about my
software.

    Customizability. This could really be put anywhere in the ranking of
pros. It might be your first priority or your last. This is also very easily
the most used argument for why people might select Linux over MS Windows, and
it also the most used argument for building LFS. You can do anything you want
with LFS. You can put together a fat desktop and multimedia workstation with
GNOME, KDE and GNUStep. Configure it to automatically boot into runlevel 5.
Use xmms to play your favorite music and watch your favorite DVD movie with
mplayer. If you don't like using /usr/local in the traditional manner and
want to install all user software in /usr/local/PACKAGENAME go for it. Your
PATH and ld.so.conf will be huge, but hey it can make software removal a
breeze (rm -rf /usr/local/PACKAGENAME). Alternatively, you could fashion a
DOS-like filesystem structure if you really want. Yes you could customize
RedHat to that extent, but go ahead and try...Its a much bigger head-ache
than customizing LFS. Here's the kicker and paradox argument for anti-LFSers,
I'll be done long before you. LFS just lends itself to customization since
its very basis is being compiled entirely from sources.

    Compartmentalization. This is really a combination of the last two above.
With the lean-ness and customizability inherent in LFS, LFS is well suited
for singular tasks that are best suited for older hardware freeing up newer
hardware for hard-core tasks. Everyone knows about using an i[3,4,5]86 as a
firewall, but how about using an i586 for a firewall and moving dhcp, WINS
resolution and DNS and your other seldom used services to an i486. The i486
would perform very well, and perhaps better than your heavily hit i586
firewall running the additional services. You can leave the firewall alone to
do its job as a router/NAT/firewall and so it performs better too. Ok, I am
getting into that general Linux territory again. Stop.

    Experimenting. You can play all you want, and if you break something you
probably now have the wherewithal to figure out what you broke.

    Understandability. When you are finished building your complete Linux
system with all the junk you could want on it and tweaked it to the brim, I
want you to compare your system with a RedHat or Debian or any other
distribution system. Look at /etc ... geez what the heck is all that crap?
Compare your ~/.bash_profile ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_logout with RedHat's ...
See any difference? A huge one I will wager.

    Support. LFS builders are some of the MOST knowledgeable Linux users in
the world. If you hop onto irc.Linuxfromscratch.org friendly faces, people
who are MORE than willing to help out a fellow LFSer will greet you. If they
can't help you directly on irc, then you will likely be directed to the
mailing lists or the news server (which is a mirror of the lists.) You can
also search the mailing list archives to see if someone has already
encountered and solved your problem. It's very likely. On a not so rare
occasion a fellow LFSer might even try and duplicate the problem on their end
to see if they can solve the problem. LFSers are by definition Linux problem
solvers.

    CONS

    Education. You will be forced to learn how to do this, and it does take
some time to become accustomed to this new method of system building. Gone
are the days of just sticking in a CD and booting. You will have to make
intelligent choices, scrap ideas and start anew when an idea doesn't pan out.
Notice this is also listed in PROS.

    Time. It does take time to develop a system. As you become more familiar
with compiling a system completely from scratch, compile time diminishes.
Again my first time it took 3 weeks (with legit excuses), and now it takes me
3-4 hours. Before you think of this as too much of a disadvantage, how many
times have you sat in front of a Linux installation screen and labored over
what to install and how. And how many more times have you spent 4 hours
installing Linux only to say to yourself...Oh man I wish I hadn't done that.
It's the same deal; with familiarity it doesn't really take much more time to
build Linux than it does to install it (of course I AM talking about on
faster computers, an i386 can take days to compile LFS where a CD will take
maybe 5 hours.)

    Frustration, Bruising and Headaches. Sometime when you are trying to
install some software, you'll have one heck of a time. You'll bang your head
on the desk (hence the bruises) and you kill anyone that comes within arms
length. This isn't the norm, but it does happen sometimes. Usually it will be
due to some earlier installed, and required software not being recognized
properly or source code that isn't up to the current state of Unix/Linux.
Before you beat yourself silly, just hop onto irc.linuxfromscratch.org.
Someone is likely to have run into the same problem, or something like it and
can give you a hand, within minutes usually.

    Proprietary. As much as customization is an advantage, it also becomes a
disadvantage. You have no choice but to customize, or work very hard to
adhere to a set of standards such as the File Hierarchy Standard, and others.
You will never find RPMs for your system or deb files. Occasionally a tgz or
tar.gz file will work as packaged. You pretty much are destined to compile
everything.

    Experimenting. You will have to do it. Experimenting is how you get much
software to work, but once you do get it to work, it really works.

    Package Management. Once again...No RPM, No Deb, the occasional tgz file
works. There are people who have installed RPM or dpkg and apt-get, and they
build their own packages for their own future use, but unless you follow the
same standards as the people who made the packages, you can't use them. Most
people make them for their own use so they can add and remove less often used
software at will.

    Support. If it doesn't work, you don't have a vendor to blame and fix
things for you. It's all on your shoulders. You can get on many irc channels
that support developers, such as irc.openprojects.org. The developers of your
software can often be found there.

    Configuration. You have to hand code almost every aspect of your Linux
system. Although there are some provided rc scripts and /etc configuration
files that can be downloaded from ftp.LFS.org, you will probably want to
change them to suit your needs...In addition any software you install above
and beyond the LFS system will not have pre-made configuration files. You
will have to learn how to do that yourself.

    Man Pages. This is really a PRO but I add it here for a reason. There are
no manuals for LFS, no QUE no UNLEASHED or other overview manuals such as
those you can get for distributed Linux. Man Pages will become your friends,
and application specific manuals (such as O'Reilly's) will become the meat
and potatoes of your IT library. In fact you might want to throw out your old
Linux manuals, because they ARE vendor specific and won't be much help at all
with LFS, they may even confuse you.

    Summary

    Linux From Scratch isn't for the faint of heart. It is meant as a
launching platform from which you can build systems to do your bidding as you
wish it. Go now, young Jedi. And remember, "Use the source" (Someone else
gets credit for that quote, but I can't remember which LFSer said that to me)

Copyright Nov. 2001

Acknowledgements

Gerard Beekman - Owner, Project Leader, Author and Principle Developer and
Principle Tester of "Linux From Scratch Project" and Friend
Beverly Beekman - Mrs. Gerard, gracious supporter of the Linux From Scratch
Project
Jesse Tetanka (HIghOS) - IRC OP, Developer, Tester and Friend. We miss you
Jesse.
Jeremy Jones (mca) & roryo - Testers and Co-Authors of Gnome.txt, the GNOME
hint (much better than my hint) and Friends, sometimes
The list goes on and on, all the way down to minor contributors and just
people we (and some we don't), and then at the bottom of the list is me.