Re: [SLUG] How can I ...

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 23:19:51 EST

On Sunday 25 November 2001 10:14 pm, you wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2001 05:01 am, you wrote:
> > Sluggers ...
> >
> > When I hit the tab key at the command line, Linux offers to feed me a
> > list of 2320 command possibilities.
>
> My tab key doesn't do that. When I push the tab key at the command line, I
> just get a beep.

Under BASH, it comes after two consecutive tabs. It's not a bug it's a
feature! As I'm sure you know it allows you to have it "fill in" the missing
letters in the command you are executing.

Try typing hostname with as few letters as possible by using TAB to fill in
for you. Start with 'h' and TAB twice. Those all the executables (in your
search path) that starts with h. Add 'o' ad two tabs, and so on until it
types it for you. On mine I have to type 'hostn' before I have a unique
command that will fill in to become hostname.

> > Is there some way to re-direct
> > this list to a file? If not, is there another way to get the list
> > that CAN be sent to a file?
>
> How about the simplest way? [tab] > list-o-commands.txt
>
> Hmmm...maybe that's why everybody is giving all of those ways to get this
> list...how do you stop a command from executing? Especially one that is one
> character long, or requires only one keystroke?

To stop a command you can try Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D (besides from using the kill
command).

> Russell
>
> > It would be a big help to me to know exactly what my choices are on
> > this box so I could try out new stuff a little more often.
> >
> > Bill

Go through the HOWTO's. It gives you great insight into how things work.
Go through the documentation for each package, or interesting sounding
package.

You can find those (in more recent versions) at:
/usr/share/doc/howto
/usr/share/doc/packages

On older distributions the used to be at /usr/doc, but has recently been
(agreed) to be under /usr/share. [Mainly for security reasons. Allowing you
to "lock down" your computer and make it more secure. I.e. all that needs to
be allowed by "normal" users is in one place.]

Steve