[SLUG] disabling window placement under KDE

From: Rodney Phillips (rodney_w_phillips@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 10:36:34 EST

KDE's default window manager, kwm, offers only 3
choices for how to handle window placement: smart,
random, or cascade (at least that's all that's in the
GUI config tool, KDE Control Panel or whatever they
call it). What I need is to tell KDE to let programs
handle their own window placement (at least for
certain programs that have their own placement
instructions). We have done this in fvwm2 in the past
by commenting out
Style * NoPPosition
in system.fvwm2rc, but fvwm2 has a lousy interface.
We have done it in Gnome by choosing "Method of
placing windows: none" for sawfish (Gnome's default
window manager). But I never got Gnome to work
without crashing on a multi-headed (i.e.,
multi-monitor) system.
So can anyone help make Gnome multi-headed, or make
KDE allow programs to place themselves? I'm willing
to try other window managers with KDE, if needed.

This is for a kiosk-like application using X
Window/Motif. In other words, while the software is
running, users should not be able to get to the
desktop or any other software on the machine, the
app's windows take over whole screen and can't be
minimized. When the software is not running, you want
a nice interface to work with while doing other tasks.