[SLUG] Does Partition Magic alter /etc/mtab?

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:28:15 EST

I think I might be going crazy. Does Partition Magic alter /etc/mtab?

Last week, I had / on hda and /usr on /hdb.

I used Partition Magic 5.x to copy that /usr partition to hda, expecting
that I would have to go back into Linux and make sure I could mount the
new copy.

Well, when I rebooted, I saw that /etc/mtab already listed /usr as being
on something like hda6 (which would be about right; there are plenty of
partitions on that drive)!

(Sadly, I used pico instead of more, so the timestamp isn't helpful in
figuring out whether Partition Magic did this.)

Am I going crazy here or what? I guess I could remove hdb and see if
Linux can find /usr... ;)

Gotta say though, if it DID do that, it's nifty (but a bit creepy)...

Ben