Re: [SLUG] Fwd: [MDLUG] From you friendly Microsoft rep

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 12:49:20 EST

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Bill wrote:

> On Thursday 06 December 2001 08:10, you wrote:
>
> > > Question how many copies of wu-ftp are still in use. Question the
> > > reference to Grannie ... and whether I would be getting hit 1,400
> > > times a day if she could apply a MSFT service pack.
> >
> > Could Grannie (not the savvy Grannie, mind you) apply a patch from
> > RedHat? Or from any other distro? I know Debian, so I'll reference
> > it here: security updates can be made automatic by Debian's apt-get
> > utility. I don't think they are automatic by default, though.
> >
> Russ ... the reference to Grannie came from the MSFT rep. I certainly

... not my reply about Grannie -- but my mother, born before
1930, and my father, older still, are the target I want to be
able to just sit down at a Linux box, and not notice the OS --
it needs to 'just work' and do everything they want. It
already does for my teenaged children.

-- I can (through my management tools) keep it safe and
current without conscious involvement in the process

So all I have left to support in person is the Application
layer -- and as I implied in the first para., that is my
goal.

-- Russ