Re: [SLUG] Web server setup help

From: David Levi (dlevi@diamondwrite.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 22:27:45 EST

Bill wrote:

> What I am looking for are software / partitioning recommendations ...
> especially from those who may have set up similar systems. The
> principle function of this server is to train me ... the secondary
> function will be to serve up mildly interesting pages to the dull and
> boring urban organic gardeners such as myself while meeting the
> design requirements of an html class requiring HTML, DHTML, CSS and
> some XML
>
> Let me know your thoughts, if you would. I am especially foggy about
> how much (little) I need to install to have remote X capabilities. Or
> if I even need X on the server box at all. The little voices in my
> head tell me I don't.
>
> I will not be creating the pages on this machine but will ftp them
> from my main box just as I would to a commercially hosted account.

Another gardener! I will happily help you with the Web details when you
get that far. As for the server, X is irrelevant. SSH for management,
FTP for uploading, and Apache for the serving are pretty much it. If
you want it to double as an email server, you'll need a bit more. As
for PHP, Apache *loves* Perl and PHP, so no fancy stuff there.
Obviously development is a different story.

David Levi