[SLUG] A "whatis" catalog

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 13:19:35 EST

I'm using Debian. Somtimes I use the "whatis" command to find out
what I program does. I understand it derives its information from
the top line description of the man page of the particular command.

I would like to peruse all of the commands in the whatis/man database
in the whatis format, so I can find more neat programs. For example:

prompt> whatis chfn
chfn (1) - change user name and information

How can I, script or otherwise, dump all of this information into a
text catalog-like file so I can print it?

Thanks,
Mario