[SLUG] HELLLLLP Kernal panics - long post

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 08:36:01 EST

After months of telling my Son how wonderful Linux is. He finally asked
me to help him install it. We attempted to install it on his machine,
yesterday. And know he thinks his Dad is crazy :(

After a successful install of RedHat 7.2. The first time he opened
Netscape the system froze. No keyboard nothing. It required a power off.
Guess what his first response was. "I thought Linux did do that" :(

After powering the machine off we tried to reboot and as soon as the
kernel stated we kept getting kernel panics. I couldn't see all of the
message, as some of it scrolled past the screen but it was something to
do with the irq handler.

So we reinstalled RH 7.2. This time I decided to make sure the network
was up an running before stating netscape. I then tried netscape and it
worked fine. Cool I thought maybe it was a bad install the first time.
So then I tried to add a remote printer and bam, it locked up again. So
this time I decided to install 7.1 as I've been running it for sometime
with out problems. And maybe what he was seeing was related to 7.2.

On the initial boot from the cdrom again another kernel panic. Part of
which I captured and it said:
Oops:0002
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill the idle task in Idle task-not synching
ide_dmaproc:chipset supported ide_dma_lostirq
func 13 hdc lost interrupt.

Note: the hdc on his machine is his cdrom reader.

Tried to install 7.1 once more. This time it hang during the install.

So I tried again after powering off. And installed 7.1 without any
further problems. He ran this install for almost 4 hours, about 2 hours
after installing all the updates from RedHat. It again locked up, and
required the power off. Note that after every lock,power off the machine
always gets kernel panics during the boot process. And only a fresh
install will resolve the problem. It won't get as far as doing the hard
drive check that Linux does when it's been powered off.

So now his machine is at the point of getting Kernel panics when trying
to load the installed/crashed Linux. I have now resigned to the fact he
may have a Windows only machine. :(

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Where/what can we check, so
some day he may join the racks of the free?

Thanks
Mike M.

--
perl -ne'chomp;$a.=pack"h*",$_;END{print"\n$a\n\n"}'<<RM
c496e657870225f636b6371202d49636f62737f6664702355736b637