Re: [SLUG] HELLLLLP Kernal panics - long post

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 10:44:10 EST

On Saturday 29 December 2001 11:11 pm, you wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2001 08:36, you wrote:
> > After months of telling my Son how wonderful Linux is. He finally
> > asked me to help him install it. We attempted to install it on his
> > machine, yesterday. And know he thinks his Dad is crazy :(
>
> (Clipped)
>
> > Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Where/what can we
> > check, so some day he may join the racks of the free?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike M.
>
> Mike ... it sounds like time for a seance!

I ditto this with one more angle. Try installing with only bare bones. Remove
every card you don't need to install Linux. Do this After Bill's very correct
suggestions. RAM was my first thought. A slow moving fan would not cool well,
I've seen Linux lock up like clockwork because of that. Some chipsets don't
work well with Linux. So check ALL hardware against list of supported h/w (on
RedHat's website).