Re: [SLUG] dot's function in *nix

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 16:55:05 EST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:35:34AM -0500, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Paul, I think Britanicca would appreciate your efforts almost as much
> as we do :').

Are you saying my reply was _really long_ for such a simple question?
<grin> Hey, what can I say? The question intrigued me and I've got the
day off. (Of course, only a true geek would go to that much trouble
trying to figure something like that out on his day off. ;-)

> Thanks! I have some reading to do. After all of the
> replies, I feel like I would enjoy taking a class on just regular
> expressions and shell programming, so if any of you have some
> books/references at the tip of your tongues (keyboards), fire away!

Don't expect a lot of help from the man pages. There are at least a
couple of varieties of regexps, and sometimes the man pages lie about
what a program expects in a regexp.

A presentation on regexps would be a good idea. Any takers?

Paul