[SLUG] Legitimate Linux!

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 10:12:48 EST

Hello again...

This is from the "Hey, it's finally getting good press!" file. I was looking
through "Stores", which is a trade magazine for retail. There's an article
about how server proliferation is causing electricity costs to increase. The
overall gist of the article is consolidating from server farms to mainframes.

Now the good part:
Without any preamble or other explanation, came this quote: ' "By using Linux
on the mainframe, we were able to consolidate 44 NT servers onto one
mainframe," says an executive from a major retailer's IT department.
"Consolidating has allowed us to save floor space, energy, and everything
else." '

The article also mentions that Gap (clothing retailer) "reportedly expects to
save $100,000 a year by replacing a mainframe that was only a year old."

There's another mention later in the article that a retailer in the NorthEast
called Boscov's is migrating to Linux. The article states without any
hesitation: "Because Linux works efficiently with the Internet, Boscov's new
mainframe can work as an Internet super-server."

Now how about that! Hooray for Linux. It saves power, too!

Russell Hires