[SLUG] Coyote and inability to ping

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 01:51:31 EST

I'm testing coyote on my firewall (nice setup script, but they don't
tell you you have to edit certain files in the background to make it
work like you want). It's connected to a DSL modem and to a hub, which
is connected to the rest of the network. It appears to find the ISP's
nameservers and capture a dynamic IP for itself. It can ping other hosts
on the LAN, and we can ping it. But we can ping outbound, either numeric
or name addresses. When pinging from a host on the LAN, the ping just
never returns. When pinging from the firewall (as root), it says
something like "operation not permitted". The firewall rules are the
same as they were with floppyfw, and that worked.

Is there a gotcha I don't know about? Any ideas? Any other info you
need?

Paul