[SLUG] Elx Linux

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 13:55:15 EST

Hello folks,
Me and Diana have been playing with Elx as well.
According to their compatibility List both our Laptops
are listed.

With release candidate 1 went to install it on my
Compaq Persario XL1200 model 111

It boots up fine then when it get's ready to go to the
graphical install of starting the xwindows it bombs
then the system halts the drives shut down.

On Diana's Laptop a Dell Lattitude cpt Gx 450
when she first installed it she choose the laptop install.
When shutting down we noticed it gave floppy access and cdrom access
errors and would not halt and shut down.

Then she tried again on her own to do a default install the shut down
problem was gone.
How ever the Open Office would not work that was included.

After the past 3 days of trying to get rc 2 we got it.

With Release candiate 2 I ran into the exact same problem as before.
On my laptop it was like nothing changed.

On Diana's Laptop no problem installing and everything works fine.

I E-mailed Elx about 3 weeks ago with the problems we encountered
they asked me what happened.

I sent them the following

I go to install the Distro on My Compaq Persario 1200 XL111
I put the disk in and then It comes to the Intro Screen saying welcome to
Elx.After that I press Enter for it to begin to install.

It starts to go to the next screen then it will do nothing.
The laptop will lock up. Then I hit ctrl, alt, back space then the following
appears on the screen I only hit ctr alt backspace after 20 minutes of the
machinedoing nothing .There is no drive lights going the CD-ROM us stopped
or I
should say the install shuts it down.

Using X server /usr/X11R6/bin XF86_FBDev
serverpath outside 2nd condition /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev
in second condition
/dev/fb0 is not available
xserver in exception loop XF86_SVGA
Waiting for X server to start ...log located in /tmp/X.log
...Xserver started successfully.
***You should really think about switching over to libglade
initialising side indication buttons
packing of the above according to resolution
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to 1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
.
install exited abnormally

They never replied back and on their website they said they fixed probles at
the
installation for the xserver settings to be manually set to avoid hangs
funny
even though the second one installed on Diana's system fine only after the
graphical install runs can you set the xserver settings ???? ?? weird

It starts x for a graphical install then you can select 5 mins later or auto
detect
something glass backwards there..

Over all it is a serious approach to the desktop again to make it simple for
newbies.
Diana installed this distro on her own and even tried a few common things to
solve the problems
that she first encountered.

I do hope that Elx get's the bugs worked out as I want to play with it on my
own laptop!