Re: [SLUG] Yet another IBM commercial for Linux

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 09:04:43 EST

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 07:58:48AM -0500, Anita Pesola wrote:
> Yeah, I found that quite interesting. The opposing team's
> name---Crash---was very apropos.....and the fact that one of IBM's
> players had the jersey name of "Linux" doing a layup was quite
> amusing....
>
> Personally, I loved it!

Yes, and they portray 'middleware' as the real hero of the entire
system. He asks not for glory .. just content to to his job well.

The only ill-effect of these commercials is that they portray linux as
something solely for the corporate world: a lay-up making, server-farm
replacing workhorse of an operating system. Even the average-joe
police investigator in that "They Stole All Our Servers" IBM
commercial says, "What's a Server?" ... In TV commercials, there are
very few incidentals.

Don't get me wrong... getting a little public-eye space is great, but
when I start seeing KDE or Gnome on the home desktops of people in
Hollywood movies or even those bitter-awful Road Runner commercials,
then I'll really jump for joy.

Regards,
Bill