Re: [SLUG] startx broken

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 14:09:08 EST

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 12:30, Mikes work account wrote:
> My boot is broken ;o(
>
> When it tries to start the X windows the monitor just clicks and goes blank.
> Everything is fine up to that point. How do I start my workstation without
> going into graphical mode? That must be an option,,,
>
> Michael C. Rock

Check your inittab file (in /etc). You'll have a line similar to this:
"id:3:initdefault:" which in this case indicates init level 3. This line
determines you default init level.
After you have determined your default init level, look for a set of
directories in /etc named rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, etcetera. Each
directory corresponds to an init level. These directories contain mostly
symbolic links to startup/shutdown scripts in /etc/init.d (or
/etc/rc.d/init.d in RH). Locate the files in the rc#.d folders that
begin with S (example S25gdm). Depending on your display manager, you
will have a startup "S" script like "S##gdm", "S##kdm", or "S##xdm". As
stated before, these are usually symbolic links. Removing these links
from your default init level directory will stop your system from
starting X at boot. You can always recreate the symbolic links later, if
you wish the system to boot into X again.

Matt