Re: [SLUG] Ham Radio

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 22:45:21 EST

On Monday 07 January 2002 23:37 L, you wrote:
> Since someone has already brought up Ham Radio I would like to know if
> anyone has any information on attaining a Technician Class license. Study
> Guides or information about local clubs that offer classes would be
> helpful.
>
> What I am most interested in is taking a hand-held radio out with me during
> kayaking trips and using local repeaters, possibly even autopatch, to
> communicate with the outside world.
>
> And, to make this relevant to this club, here is a useful Linux Ham Radio
> link that I found chockful of wholesome goodness http://radio.linux.org.au/

TARC which has a nice club house here in Tampa has meetings every
week, in fact I think there is some sort of meeting going on almost every
night at the club house.

They also offer license classes, I think it is at least once a week.
You can check out the web site at:

www.hamclub.org

These guys are real good at getting people trained and on the air.
Lot of public service and other activity, also lot of computer interest
there.

TBARS, the repeater arm has several repeaters around the area and
there are several people active in out door activity such as what you
indicated. Alas the autopatch is no more, some serious problems with
some "wilde turkeys" caused that go to away. But people are always
willing to make a phone call when needed. In fact I am not sure if there
is a autopatch in the area now or not. I have not used one in ages.
Better to use the c-phone and not worry about some crass idiot out
there causing a mess. The last one was caught and processed, but
you can never tell when another one will pop up, so turning off the patch
pretty much got rid of that attraction.

There is a nice mix of both vhf and uhf repeater so you can play on
both bands.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT