Re: [SLUG] Microsoft Editorial

From: Robin (Roblimo) Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 15:12:21 EST

Anita Pesola wrote:

> That's a very good rebuttal, Tim, but knowing the Tampa Trib the way I do,
> they'll edit the letter to suit *THEIR* views, not yours. That's what I hate
> about newspapers and the liberal media. It's always slanted.

Darn liberal media, always supporting Microsoft and other monopolies. I
hate the way liberals slant everything in favor of big business and
profit, and ignore the work of good conservatives like, say, Richard M.
Stallman. :)

Seriously, most general circulation newspapers' writers and editors are
simply ignorant about tech issues. This has nothing to do with political
orientation. And newspapers tend to err slightly on the side of large
corporate advertisers (and potential advertisers), which is a more
obvious (and probably more harmful) slant than any other.

The Washington Times, a newspaper whose conservate credentials cannot be
disputed by anyone more liberal than the average Taliban member, is a
staunch Microsoft supporter. At the same time, conservative legal icon
Robert Bork is firmly in the "let's shred Microsoft" camp.

Last week the Sarasota Herald/Tribune ran a business section article
about computer security that was jaw-droppingly innacurate. It was
nothing but rewritten PR material from several Windows consultants. I
emailed both the reporter and the business editor and have not heard
back from them even though this newspaper has a stated "reader response"
policy and supposedly reads email. My note was strictly about technical
matters. It had nothing to do with politics. My one email, ever, to the
Tampa Tribune was promptly and politely answered.

- Robin