Re: [SLUG] Re:

From: Robin (Roblimo) Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 14:07:52 EST

Bpreece wrote:

> Dell Computers will still sell a Laptop Preloaded with RedHat ,
> as for local none!

HOWEVER - the only Dell laptops availalable with Linux preloaded are
top-of-the-line models, available only with the most expensive service
plan Dell offers. This is sort of silly, since one reason to pick Linux
in the first place is that it needs less "computer power" to run well
than other operating systems. IBM also has the idea that Linux is used
only by people with lots of hardware money to spend.

I have friends who have successfully installed Linux on bottom-cost Dell
Inspirons and have been happy with them. A Mandrake install is no big
deal; do it during commercials while watching TV. I do not personally
deal with Dell because Rob Malda and I have both had "bait and switch"
problems with their pricing, plus other lies. People who have not had
these problems with Dell love them. This is up to you.

We have had good luck with HP Pavilion laptops and Linux. I personally
like the rounded case; it is easy on my wrists. Nice, bright display, too.

I would try to avoid any laptop with the NeoMagic 256 audio chipset.
This sucker is a [phrase removed to placate religionists] to get going
with Linux. It *can* be done, but takes work.

I will not personally buy an IBM or most Compaq laptops because I prefer
a touchpad to the the little tit-pointers they both use. This is a
personal preference only.

The biggest problem with the HP Pavilion notebook is flimsy
construction. Mine has a cracked case from a drop, but works anyway.

One suggestion on purchasing a laptop, aside from OS: get it at CompUSA
or from another retailer that offers an "all hazards" 3-year repair
policy of some sort. I know very few people whose laptops have not had a
problem or been damaged within the first year or two of their lives.

- Robin