Re: [SLUG] Microsoft Editorial

From: Doc (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 18:27:53 EST

> If only for the fact that in real dollars my phone bill is higher for the
same
> services today than it was before the AT&T breakup I would agree with
> your article 100%. :)

Gee, even here in rural Hudson I don't have to live with the same services
as were in place pre-AT&T's breakup ... giggle.

I agree strongly with the response to the M$ editorial, and with many
years of past history in politics it is obvious that M$ is working editorial
staffs hard through high-tech advertisers to get positive press.

As for the politics of the local press, The St. Pete Times was introduced
to me as "Pravda on the Gulf", the Tampa Trib as "The Voice of the
Moderates", there is no such thing as a conservative paper in the Tampa
Bay area that I am aware of.

As for reliable Tech news, forget the mainstream media, it is asking too
much for entertainment, hype, and profit obsessed folks therein.

Seems to me that we need to pepper the letters-to-the-editor columns
of both papers with thoughtful brief replies that recite the many places
that use Linux and other M$ alternatives (e.g. Home Depot), the many
products that will run either (most home and business PCs), and the
many common apps that will run under either (word processing,
spreadsheet, databases, pims, games, Internet browsers, E-mail,
chat, ...).

Steady pressure from grassroots local users together with IBMs high
profile ads and all of the news stories and we cab build a buzz that
M$ cannot buy for billions -- we just need to be persistent.

doc