Re: [SLUG] Linux on Laptops

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 16:09:15 EST

Carson Wilcox wrote:

>Thanks,
>
>I did call Dell and they told me that don't ship
>laptops with linux installed, unless I just got some
>yoyo that didn't have a clue.
>I do appreciate the advice.
>
>Thanks,
>Carson

They're right, they don't, but....

"Dell continues to support Linux customers on a variety of client and
server products both through factory installation and Linux vendor
certification. Dell offers the latest release of Red HatŪ Linux 7.2 on
its Precision Workstation and PowerEdge Server lines
<http://www.dell.com/us/en/hied/topics/linux_000_linux_products.htm> to
customers who range from corporate professionals to performance
computing enthusiasts through multiple ordering mechanisms, including
over the internet. For customers who develop their own Linux image using
Red Hat or another Linux distribution, Dell will install their image on
OptiPlex desktop and Latitude portable computers through Dell's custom
factory integration services
<http://www.dell.com/us/en/hied/services/service_cfienterprisecfiservices.htm>
. In addition, Dell has Linux available across its other product lines
(Dimension and Inspiron) through DellWare to support the many Linux
user's who are installing the operating system themselves.

Dell Precision and PowerEdge offer special technical support queues
trained to support the need of technical users. In addition to the
award-winning support Dell provides all customers, Dell utilizes a
dedicated support team which is trained to support the hardware,
application, and software needs of Linux users and is also partnered
with LinuxCare <http://dell.linuxcare.com/> and Red Hat
<http://www.dell.com/images/global/general/offdell.gif>
<http://www.redhat.com/onesource/> for in-depth support. Dell continues
to develop drivers and provide those as open source into the Linux
development community."

Gnorb