Re: [SLUG] Change logs and RCS/CVS

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 23:39:22 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> For projects I'm working on, I'd like to keep the changes I enter for
> CVS to be sync'd with those in the Changelog file. In other words, I'd
> like not to have to enter the same information twice. You could put a
> $Log$ directive into the Changelog file, but it won't get touched at
> commit time, unless you've changed the file.
>
> Anyone know of a way to keep all this stuff in sync, or is there no way?
> Or did I poorly explain it?
>
> Paul

Paul-
   There is a script called cvs2cl.pl that calls "cvs log" (produces really
ugly output), and formats it as a ChangeLog file. Simple move into a
directory in your cvs-managed working copy, and execute "cvs2cl.pl" (I like
to add the --hide-files and --no-wrap options). The one thing that I would
like to see (but I don't Perl:-( ) is a unification of all "commits" for a
given period (ie all commits in the same day are shown as one entry, or all
commits in one week are shown as one entry); there is no option for that.
You can pass-in a timespec (ie only show changes for the last 6 months).
The same website has a variant that spits-out the ChangeLog as HTML. One
last interesting feature (there are many more, but less interesting to me)
is "-d" (distributed). This option will create a file named ChangeLog in
each subdirectory (under the current directory), with entries for only those
commits that involved files in that directory.

The script can be downloaded from: http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/cvs2cl.pl

The output (with the --hide-files option --no-wrap) looks like:

        Many Makefile fixes to use iot/makefile.config: IOTDIR, CDIR and
           ALLCOMMON, and TIC
        All apps should now be using iotnames.o instead of local
implementations
           (redundant implementations) of bindObjecttoName() and
getObject().

        Fixes to the problem of EXEs not connecting properly.

        Added a loop to the stock VBORB code (inside stringToObject());
instead
           of querying the HTTP server and returning if no answer, loop for
           10 seconds trying to get the webpage.

        Minor changes to Timber VB Client

        Improved contrib/common/iotnames.cxx.
        Changed timber/src/timberd.cxx to use iotnames.

        Added the timber/clients/tic directory and files.

        Improved Tokenizer class, if you set should_clear=0, you can
           use successive calls to ::Tokenize() to concatenate string lists.

        Added the iotnames.h/.cxx to simplify CORBA Nameservice handling!

        Changed timber_impl.cxx to always use dateobj, not time()

   --Ronan Heffernan