Re: [SLUG] CDROM problems

From: Lee Gusler (lgusler@gte.net)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 15:38:28 EST

On Friday 01 February 2002 11:45 pm, you wrote:
> Does anyone know what the message means "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block
> device"? I get this when I try to mount the cdrom - even as root. I have
> a known good distro cd in the drive. I looked at fstab and it looks right.
>
> My cd drive appears to load normally at start-up on the hdc device and
> is a standard atapi cdrom. The cdrom drive works fine if I boot with a
> floppy to dos so the hardware appears to be good. Any ideas?
>
> Mark Saunders
> msaunder@tampabay.rr.com

If this is for Red Hat 7.2, the Red Hat support page reports that there is an
installer bug in some hardware setups. After an installation of 7.2 or
upgrade of an existing system, these units report "/dev/cdrom is not a valid
block device".

Running the command as root "depmod -ae" should solve this issue.
Additionally, upgrading to the latest kernel errata will solve this issue.

Hope this helps.

Lee Gusler