RE: [SLUG] Pings etc.

From: John Wright (wjohn1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 20:46:47 EST

Hello All:

I know from experience that many ISP ( Actually the owners of the backbone)
do not shutdown the ping option, but setup the routers in the cloud to give
a very low priority to ICMP packets. A ping is an ICMP packet. What this
means
to you, is during times of high usage, the priority traffic will flow first
and the less important traffic will be delayed (buffered)or even discarded.
Corperately speaking, you, as a normal "residential customer" do not need to
be
concerned with doing network trouble shooting ( ie. ping and trace
commands).

Business accounts however are a whole different matter.
With the heavy usage of certificates in Authentication, It is more rare to
have
ICMP exchange "turned down". This is because many companies use Digital
cert.s
for Authentication. This sometimes requires that the authenticatee be able
ping the server that is being used as the CA "Certificate Authority". In
this usage,
The CA holds database that is the Revocation list. Too low a priority on
ICMP
packets would cause Authentication timeouts, consquently failed dial/access
attempts.

This can also be the case when the Corperate accounts have a number of
Access Servers
and the Dial software checks each in sequence to be sure there is something
there to
authenticate to. The first one that responds to the ping wins.