Re: [SLUG] home network

From: Patrick Grantham (pwgrant@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 23:24:49 EST

HOWEVER: The metal in the case DOES conduct heat. Air that is very close
does give up heat to the metal of the case. By adding acoutstic insulation
to the case (even thin) will restarted the rate of heat transfer
significantly. One should use great caution, if you affix any kind of
insulation you should also take measures to move more heat out of the box.
Not doing so will raise the temp of the air in the box and may even create a
fir hazard. If your box has four fans to properly cool, then you then
consider the benefits using some flex duct (2") to "borrow" some cool air
for the a/c system.

Personally, I got fed up with the noise of by two boxes at home (7 fans
each, two on each cpu, 1 for video of internal to power supply and another
for the box.) I replaced them all with higher quality fans and
significantly reduced the noise.

hope this helps