Re: [SLUG] SPAM blackhole lists?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 23:19:31 EST

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:48:35PM -0500, Russ Herrold wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Bill Triplett wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone is using any of those anti-spam relay
> > blacklist features[1] to block spam. If so, which one and what kind of
> > results are you seeing? Are there alot of false positives?
>
> I use several and am very active with orbz -- I may be reached
> through herrold@orbz.org, for example -- one of three working
> 'real' email addresses in that domain, I believe, as the time
> I was afforded that cortesy by the Admin at ORBZ.

This is an old thread, but worth adding something to.

I hooked up ORBZ to my sendmail/exim, but it did nothing on the inbound
side, because apparently fetchmail hands its mail off directly to
procmail, not sendmail.

I ran an analysis, and I was getting more spam than legit email. So I
looked around and found spambouncer. It works with procmail to block
spam. As part of spambouncer, I turned on ORBZ checking. Since I
installed spambouncer, I've had zero spam in my main folder, and only a
couple of false positives. (These were things I should have tagged as
legitimate before they ever got to spambouncer.)

In any case, although spambouncer is not the only package of its kind
out there (junkfilter is the other big one), it does appear to work very
well.

Paul